PREPARING FOR SURGERY
No matter if you are required to complete medical weight management before your surgery is approved or not, the preoperative program is designed to prepare you for surgery and begin the education process for your long term success. The better prepared you are for surgery, the faster you will recover and more comfortable you will be in the process. Listed below is a basic outline of the process. This is of course modified according to any individual needs or circumstances.
- You will meet with the Fitness Trainers at Baxter Fitness at specific intervals before surgery to review or modify your preoperative exercise program.
- You will be instructed by the dietician on a specific nutritional program to follow. This includes a special diet and vitamins designed specifically to help make surgery easier for you.
- You will be given a schedule of support groups and required to attend at least 1 support group prior to surgery. Most people find these sessions really helpful. Even those who previously didn’t like group meetings!
- At one to two weeks prior to surgery you and your primary support person will attend a a half day class and an afternoon preoperative clinic. The class will familiarize you with what you can expect in the hospital and how to plan for the first few weeks after surgery. At the clinic you will have lab tests and meet with an anesthesiologist.
- A second consultation with your surgeon and program coordinator will occur within 7 to 10 days prior to surgery at which time you and your primary support person will review and sign an informed consent agreement. This is the perfect time to ask any last minute questions of your surgeon.
- Be sure to review the instructions provided by our Surgery Scheduling Department and if you have any questions at all, please do call!